Monday, November 2, 2009

I could be mistaken about why it works. It does however work.

Monday, November 02, 2009

So, after RSVPing some events and going hiking yesterday and casually mentioning some opportunities to volunteer at the lovely five mile woods (I really love fmw, my daughter told me we were ethereal there when I took her there at age four or five), and sending my resume off so that I might serve on the Frankford Community Development Corporation, but before I go that meeting tonight to prepare for volunteering tomorrow at the polls, I am making time to continue my studies in Java.
Today’s lab: WJ-2752-6E Lab 3 - Exercise 2 – Using Arrays to Represent One-to-Many Associations (Level 1). Sounds exciting!

We are starting with the banking project that we did in earlier labs. Specifically we are going to use the customer class objects in the array attribute of the same name belonging to the bank class of objects we are going to be creating.
So, four hours have passed. I keep on getting null pointer exceptions. I have an array of objects I am passing values into through their objects. Ok, I peeked at level two, but this one just kept rotating through null pointer exceptions and array index out of bound exceptions. Truth be told I had already figured out what level two told me about my array being set too small. Somehow I was expecting to have dynamically resizable arrays in Java. I guess that wouldn’t really make sense though given that Java manages its own memory. I hate feeling like I have outgrown a language before I really get my feet wet.

So I have learned that we need to declare our arrays to be of a length and I suppose it would be wide to learn to copy arrays so that when their sizes get exceeded error handling could be set up to automatically copy the array to a larger one created… I am hungry or else I might try and do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment